Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hate it : Bandages and Bows

A bride should be the center of attention on her wedding day; an image of elegance and a sight to behold. Her dress should flatter her figure and highlight her best features. I can not help but wonder what was on the minds of the designers when they concocted some of these "things" I can only call atrocities against both fashion and weddings!

Remember The Sound of Music and Gone with the Wind? Simply because those drapes made good ensembles in the movies, does not mean a bride should look like she ripped her grandmother's curtains down at the last minute to create her wedding dress.

In particular, I can't help but picture a bride in this dress having to swim her way to the Altar with her Little Mermaid tail. I have to say I have no love for what I refer to as The Curtain Mermaid gown.

Not to keep referencing movies, but can you say "Mummy"? This dress may be great for a fancy formal event, but if a bride were to walk down the aisle in this creation, her guests may be wondering if she is happy to be getting married or if she thought she was dressing for preservation in a casket. I am unable to give this a thumbs up in the bridal gown category simply because the dress screams "bandages" from head to toe.

I have to say no to the feather boa look of this Burlesque Dancer get-up. Again, the dress may have it's place in fashion, but it certainly has no place on a bride! I think the seams would reject the idea, but unless the bride is having a very unconventional wedding and arriving beside her groom via pole....these feathers are an emphatic "NO" for a wedding gown.

Some of these dresses will leave the bride standing in the shadow of her beautifully wrapped gifts; or even worse...blending right on in with them. Maybe I'm an old-fashioned girl, but I still think it best to show a touch of class and be sure your guests are gasping at your elegance rather than your lack of fashion sense.

Editor's note:
Don't hold back, tell us what you really think! I have to say that I largely agree here. Brides appear 'all wrapped up', in the 2010 collection previews I have seen so far, with miles of wrapped tulle, chiffon and satin appearing in dresses from all designers. It may not be difficult to get a budget version of these designer gowns. I recommend checking out the Toilet Paper Wedding Gown contest and then grabbing a few hundred rolls of Andrex!

What do you think about the new 'wrap' gowns?

No comments:

Post a Comment