Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 22, 2009

Good Fortune

Recently I had lunch with a friend and we were talking about recycling table linen in textile work. Before I left I was given this lovely collection of table linen.

Then this weekend another friend has given me two boxes of old lace and embroidered net. I've been busy laundering it all. I feel very fortunate to be the beneficiary of such wonderful gifts.

Last week I went to East Berkshire College at Windsor for their end of year show. There were many beautiful pieces. I decided not to take my camera as it is too easy to become absorbed with taking photographs rather than looking at the detail of the work. Three pieces stood out. A chair with an amazing felt cover in rich reds and blues with the quote from William Morris "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" embroidered into it along with other stitching. It was stunning. Long narrow textile pictures of the coast. With stitching was so delicate it was almost invisible unless you were up very close. Then length wise panels of figures at the park in shadow and in the open. Trees and text all printed onto a fine fabric. It was magical.

I have been trying out various methods of transferring photographs to fabric. Some that I have previously used and some new ones. It was while I was at Windsor I got some different products. I used Gel Medium to transfer, not very successful for fabric. I have used it on paper before and that works well. The transfer solution using a photocopy has worked well. Then I used inkAID and this has been very satisfactory. I will photograph the work tomorrow, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment