Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Namaste versus the Handshake

Everyone in India shakes hands now!  It's weird to me, because 11 years ago everyone greeted each other with a Namaste.  Namaste is when you join your two hands together in front of your heart (kind of like what some people do when they pray).  You bow your head and you say "Namaste."  The person you are greeting does the same thing back to you.  The translation of this word and gesture is something like, "That which is divine in me bows to that which is divine in you."  It's a beautiful greeting, I think, and I'm somewhat saddened that all who come and greet me come eagerly with outstretched hand.  Yet another example of how western culture is all pervading.

No comments:

Post a Comment